I hadn't really noticed that being pregnant made me more emotional until a little adventure last week. Marcos and I returned home from Lamaze one evening last week and two of the little boys in the neighborhood were outside out house waiting for us. (Marcos has befriended them so I figured they were just waiting to say hi to him). It turns out their visit had a specific purpose...they had found a little kitten in a box that had been abandoned right outside the gate to our community. Of course I immediately lifted the little one out of the box and held it shaking, purring little body. She was so cute and all black from head to toe. It was late, the shelter was closed and neither of these little boys could keep the kitten at their house so....operation kitten rescue went into effect. Marcos is quite the pro considering Gracie is basically his first cat.
The boys left and we got her all set up inside the house. The plan was to keep her overnight then take her to the shelter in the morning. That night as I was trying to go to sleep I had to pray that we made the right decision given the predicament we were just put in. Most people would not think twice about such a thing but as some of you know I have had cats my whole life most of whom have been rescued in one way or another. The predicament was we have a baby on the way which is time consuming enough and Gracie seems to be very happy being an only kitten that I was worried how she would react as well. That night she stayed out of our room as if to say I know what you two are doing (that strange cat in the bathroom downstairs) and I don't like it one bit!!
Now for the extreme emotional part....the next morning before Marcos left for work I told him that I thought about it and that now would not be the right time for us to keep the kitten. He agreed and admitted that he was afraid that I was going to ask him if we could (hmmm, does his fear indicate that I possibly could have had my way??) So I got ready and grabbed the cat carrier and headed to the shelter with this well rested and fed little kitten. She began to cry so loud once we were in the car and all I could think about was how she was probably making the same cries when the low life's drove off the night before after abandoning her in the bushes. How could someone do such a thing? That was all I could think about. So, I get to the shelter and they are not open to the public yet but one of the ladies was in the office. I began speaking to her through the window explaining that kids in the neighborhood found this kitten, etc. and could barely get any of my sentence out because I was BAWLING!!!
The lady at the shelter was so nice and just kept saying it's ok, and don't cry but I was a mess. I felt so bad telling her the story of this poor little kitten and how I wanted to help but just could not at the time. So picture this pregnant chick standing outside the animal shelter crying her eyes out as if I were handing over one of my own pets or loved ones for that matter. I could not believe how I just couldn't control myself. The lady explained that they would scan her for one of those Avid tags that identifies the original owner but that the shelter would take care of the little kitten. I came home and found Gracie and held her and gave her a ton of kisses until I was finally able to compose myself. So is that what they mean by being overly emotional when you're pregnant? Oh and by the way, Marcos called later that day to be sure I had delivered the kitten to the shelter and was not still holding onto her at our house! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
OMG I would have been emotional, too! You are so cute :) congrats on making it to 34 weeks--that is as far as I got with the boys. Can't wait to see you soon!
xoxo, lins
Post a Comment